Grocery stores and farmers markets are still overflowing with apples, apples, and more apples. Finding myself without the fixins for my usual breakfast a few weeks ago, I remembered a friend once telling me she sliced an apple, drizzled it with honey and cinnamon and microwaved it. I had apples. I had honey. I had cinnamon. Breakfast was happening.
What You Need for Erstaz Apple Crisp:
- one apple (I’ve used both Braeburn and Honey Crisp for this and Braeburn, tarter than Honey Crisp, was preferable, but you do you)
- cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice
- honey, any type that’s easy to drizzle
- granola, store-bought or homemade, whatevs
- yogurt (I used plain but vanilla or maple would be delicious)
- Slice apple thinly. Place one layer of apples in a microwave-safe bowl. Sprinkle with cinnamon/pumpkin pie spice/apple pie spice and drizzle with honey. Just eyeball what looks good to you. Repeat with remaining apple slices.
- Place bowl in microwave and set timer to 30 seconds. Gauge how your apple slice have heated up as microwaves vary. Heat for another 30 seconds, if you deem it necessary, to get everything warmed up.
- Top your apples with granola and a healthy dollop of yogurt. Enjoy!